Badly maintained appliances can cause serious injury. We are required by law to undertake annual gas safety inspections of all gas pipes and appliances that are installed in your home.
If you smell gas:
- Switch off all gas appliances.
- Shut off the gas supply at the meter control valves.
- Call Gas Emergency Services on the Gas Emergency Freephone Number 0800 111 999.
- Open all doors and windows to ventilate the room.
Do not operate any electrical switches or use a naked flame
Gas Safety checks for tenants
- As a landlord, it is our responsibility to carry out gas safety checks on any Housing Solutions gas appliances and the pipework in the homes we rent every year. We will also service these appliances annually. We will contact you two months before the service is due to arrange the visit. It is essential that you let us into your home to carry out these checks.
- You can contact us via webchat or email email@example.com to book or re-arrange the visit.
- All our engineers are Gas Safe registered and carry an ID card with their personal license number and photograph. Always check a tradesman ID. You can call the Gas Safe Register on 0800 408 5500 or visit Gas Safe Register to check the credentials of the engineer or business.
- After the service, you will receive a certificate called a Landlord’s Gas Safety Record (LGSR) that confirms the results of the check.
You must give us access to your property to carry out gas safety checks. We will write to you two months before your service is due to give plenty of time to arrange a convenient visit. This check will be performed on any Housing Solutions appliances and the gas pipework (we do not check your own appliances). Please do all you can to help us and let us know immediately if you need to cancel an appointment.
Housing Solutions will:
- Call to check that the appointment can still go ahead (in case any member of your household is isolating)
- Once you receive a gas check letter, call us to make a suitable appointment
- Inform us if you are self isolating or have Covid-19 symptoms
- If you refuse to give us access for gas safety checks, you will be in breach of your tenancy agreement and we may take legal action against you and you will have to pay any associated fees (which can be quite high).
For more information please watch our 1 minute video on what happens during a Gas Safety check by clicking here
Gas Safety checks for leaseholders and shared owners
As homeowners, you are responsible for maintaining your gas appliances. Gas Safe Register recommends annual servicing by Gas Safe-registered engineers. Consult the Gas Safe Register to find suitably qualified engineers in your area to carry out the checks. You can find a gas safe registered engineer by visiting gassaferegister.co.uk