If you are a tenant
You must give us access to your property to carry out gas safety checks. We will write to you two months before your service is due to give plenty of time to arrange a convenient visit. This check will be performed on any Housing Solutions appliances and the gas pipework (we do not check your own appliances). Please do all you can to help us and let us know immediately if you need to cancel an appointment.
If you refuse to give us access for gas safety checks, you will be in breach of your tenancy agreement and we may take legal action against you and you will have to pay any associated fees (which can be quite high).
Badly maintained appliances can cause serious injury. We are required by law to undertake annual Gas Safety inspections of all gas pipes and appliances that are installed in your home.
In the interests of Health and Safety we would ask your cooperation and allow us access to carry out the safety checks as soon as possible.
If you are a homeowner
You are responsible for organising your own gas safety checks. We recommend you have appliances and gas pipework checked annually. You can find a gas safe registered engineer by visiting gassaferegister.co.uk
Information for homeowners - Gas safe engineers
All our engineers are gas safe registered. They will have an ID card with their personal licence number and photograph.
The card is there for your protection. Make sure that you check the front and the back of the card.
Check the front of the card for:
- the photo.
- the start date and expiry date.
- the license number.
- the security hologram.
- ensuring that the engineer is from the company you employed.
Check the back of the card to make sure that:
- your engineer is qualified to do the gas work you want done ( for example work on a cooker, boiler or gas fire)
- their qualifications are up-to-date.
If you smell gas:
- Switch off all gas appliances;
- Shut off the gas supply at the meter control valves;
- Call Gas Emergency Services on the Gas Emergency Freephone Number 0800 111 999;
- Open all doors and windows to ventilate the room;
- Do not operate any electrical switches or use a naked flame.